Mesotherapy Review: An alternative to Liposuction

Mesotherapy is a non-surgical treatment that is widely used in the cosmetic world for the past decade. The treatment works by injecting various substances into the subcutaneous fat which is treated until it is dissolved. The treatment was developed in France back in 1952 by clinician Dr. Michel Pistor who first created it in order to treat vascular and infectious diseases, sport injuries and the improvement of circulation. The following review will focus on how mesotherapy can help you deal with weight issues and whether it is a suitable technique for your case.

Mesotherapy: What is it?

Mesotherapy is a simple technique that works under the principle that fat cells can be dissolved by administering small amounts of a combination of chemical substances through subcutaneous injections which are directly given into the mesoderm –the layer of fat and connective tissue under the skin.  The fat which has been dissolved is later on released naturally.

Because it involves the use of syringes, mesotherapy should only be administered by a fully-certified skin specialist. However, not all skin specialists agree on the type of substances that should be injected into the skin; this is why different alternatives can be found: various chemicals, such as Isoproterenol, Aminophylline and T3/T4 thyroid; homeopathic substances, like Lipodistrofin or Fucus Vesiculosus D6 and other anti-inflammatory substances, such as Novocain as well. Most ingredients have been shown to possess a strong detergent action against fat cells known as Cell-lysis.

Duration and frequency of each session varies from professional to professional and will also depend on the patient’s own needs. Most frequent causes for consultation list cellulite, general overweight and localised fat. It is because these reasons are so varied that each physician needs to personalise the treatment, even as far as the different substances are concerned. For instance, if a patient were more concerned about fighting cellulite rather than fighting fat, skin specialists would choose the appropriate compound for this case.

Advantages of Mesotherapy

Optimal Results

According to many of the mesotherapy reviews available online, the treatment works in about 95% of the cases. Even when there is no understanding why the procedure fails to work in the remaining 5%, clinical trials have shown that efficiency is truly achieved in high percentages. Most patients agree on the technique’s positive results by sharing numerous mesotherapy reviews. Medically, success can be best explained the following way; since fat cells are not destroyed in order to redistribute the fat, but completely removed altogether, the results are longer-lasting and more visible.

No Downtime

There is little or no time required for recovery after a mesotherapy procedure. Additionally, discomfort during or after a session is usually minimal. In those few cases in which patients have experience any pain at all, discomfort has been described as being mild. Most patients can go back to their normal everyday activities soon after the treatment, with only a few instructions to follow.

Low Cost

Unlike other cosmetic procedures, such as liposuction, this procedure can be considered as being less costly, about 50% more affordable.

Disadvantages of Mesotherapy

Lack of FDA Approval

Despite most of the substances used for the injections have been approved by the FDA in isolation, they have not been approved for their use in injections.

Several Sessions may be required

In most cases, several sessions (5-15) must be necessary before any results can be achieved.

Some Final Comments

This procedure has been considered a good alternative to treatments such as liposuction for several decades now. Nonetheless, the inconsistency of the injected compounds makes the procedure fallible at times; consultation with a skin specialist will help you decide whether mesotherapy is the right treatment for you.

We will be happy to see your thoughts

Leave a reply